Site Map

Accommodation and Organization Guarantee

In addition to exclusive dormitories maintained through its business alliance with Kyoritsu Maintenance Co., Ltd., Rikkyo University maintains a partnership with House Mate Co., Ltd. and the National Student Information Center [NASIC], which refers students to private student dormitories, apartments, and other accommodations. Please note that the University does not directly refer students to these properties. Those seeking a referral should inquire through one of these two real estate agencies.

1. Exclusive dormitories

Exclusive dormitories are reserved solely for Rikkyo University students and are designed for use by international students from our overseas exchange-partner universities. The recommended dormitories also accommodate students from other universities as well. These dormitories allow students to interact with a diverse group of their peers.

2. Accommodations by Private Organizations, etc.

A number of student dormitories owned by private organizations, specifically recruit international students who have entered Rikkyo University. These include company dormitories (singles) from private sector companies which are arranged by the Corporate Friendship Network for Foreign Students and the Tokyo International Exchange Center (for graduate students only) operated by the Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO). Screening for these dormitories is conducted in the form of documents and interviews. The University provides recommendations for those wishing to live in these dorms. These applications tend to be rather competitive. Recruitment information is available on the bulletin boards at the Center for International Studies on each campus.

3. Apartments

With the close cooperation of two real estate agencies— House Mate Co., Ltd. and the National Student Information Center [NASIC]—Rikkyo University provides referrals for apartments. Most real estate agencies charge as a concession fee equivalent to one month’s rent. However, these two real estate agencies, charge a concession fee of half of one month’s rent.
Click here for further details. (in Japanese)

4. Comprehensive Renter’s Insurance for International Students Studying in Japan from the Japan Educational Exchanges and Services (JEES)

(Co-signer system for when international students move into accommodations)
A co-signer is required for those renting an apartment or other accommodation in Japan. As a general rule, international students must find their own guarantor. However, in the event that a student cannot find someone to serve as their guarantor, Rikkyo University will act as the guarantor (providing an organization guarantee). The Organization Guarantee Program is applied after it is confirmed that the terms of the contract meet the requirements of the University and a number of other conditions are observed, including the student’s joining the “Comprehensive Renter’s Insurance for International Students” program run by JEES. There may be cases where the terms of the contract prevent the Organization Guarantee Program from being applied. Please consult the Center for International Studies before signing the contract (and before paying any deposit or key money).
→ Please refer to Item 6 for the details of Rikkyo University’s Organization Guarantee Program

5. Procedure for Applying for Rikkyo University’s Organization Guarantee Program

This program allows students to request Rikkyo University to act as a co-signer for accommodation. An application is required when an international student enrolled in the University signs a housing contract for the duration of their enrollment period.

The University cannot serve as the co-signor in cases where the rent is 100,000 yen or over, or where the student is living with someone other than a family member. Furthermore, in cases where privately-funded international students utilize this system, a tuition receipt (copy) or certification proving their ability to pay tuition is required.

[Procedural Method]
For further explanation of the program and the required documents, please consult the Center for International Studies office at Ikebukuro or Niiza.

The program is explained to landlords and real estate agents to gain their consent regarding the conditions, and to determine the desired property.

Documents which reveal the terms of the contract are presented to the Center for International Studies, and the University decides whether to provide an organization guarantee.

A formal application is submitted for the desired property, a contract is prepared, the signatures and seals of those other than the co-signer are affixed, and are presented to the Center for International Studies

The student enrolls in Comprehensive Renter’s Insurance for International Students at the Student Welfare Section of the Division of Student Affairs in Ikebukuro or at the Niiza Campus Office

The student submits proof of enrollment in the Comprehensive Renter’s Insurance for International Students to either of the Centers for International Studies, and the contract co-signed by the University (organization guarantee) is accepted

[Comprehensive Renter’s Insurance for International Students]
This program is run by Japan Educational Exchanges and Services (JEES). It provides compensation to landlords for damages, or when the guarantor is faced with a right-to-performance on their guarantee obligation and has to pay the landlord restitution for unpaid rent. The insurance premium is 4,500 yen per year or 9,000 yen for two years.

The student must submit a report on their living conditions to the Center for International Studies, and provide a signature for confirmation once a month throughout the period when the University acts as their co-signor via the Organization Guarantee Program.
In addition, students must follow the respective prescribed procedures in cases where they want the University to continue the organization guarantee when renewing a contract or in cases where the organization guarantee is discontinued for reasons such as a change in residence.

6. Important Points Regarding Finding Accommodations

< Shikikin and Reikin >
When finalizing a contract, students will be charged shikikin (a deposit fee) and reikin (a concession fee) in addition to rent. These fees will be listed in the contract, and must be confirmed before signing.

This deposit, usually equivalent to one or two months’ rent, is entrusted to the landlord at the time the contract is finalized as a form of security against failure to pay rent. The deposit will be refunded at the time the tenant vacates the apartment. The amount of the refund depends on factors such as outstanding rent and damages to the premises.

This is a form of concession fee paid to the landlord at the time the contract is signed. Generally, the amount is equivalent to one or two months’ rent and is paid in one lump sum. This fee is not returned to the occupant at the end of the lease.

< Guarantor >
When finalizing a contract, a Japanese guarantor is typically required. (Refer to Item 4 above.) Rikkyo University will act as guarantor provided the student utilizes the International Guarantor system.

< Contract Period >
A housing contract typically covers two years. Depending on the terms of the contract, a renewal fee (about one month’s rent) is required each time the contract is renewed. It is important to confirm the details regarding the contract period and renewal procedures before signing.

< Rent >
In most cases, each month’s rent must be paid before the end of the previous month. Terminating the lease requires at least one month prior notification to the landlord. Sudden vacation of the apartment without notifying the landlord may require your paying an additional month’s rent.

The “Renting in Japan” handbook (in Japanese, Korean, Chinese, and English), which contains explanations of terminology used in the process of renting property in Japan and a compilation of pointers regarding living in this country, is available from the Division of Student Affairs and the Niiza Campus Office. These offices also provide advice and information on various other housing issues.

Student Life

International Exchange

International Students

Return to Top of Page

Ikebukuro Campus(Public relations)
3-34-1 Nishi-Ikebukuro,Toshima-ku,
Tokyo Japan 171-8501
Niiza Campus(Niiza campus service division)
1-2-26 Kitano,Niiza-shi,
Saitama Japan 352-8558
Copyright © Rikkyo University. All Rights Reserved.