Feb 04, 2021PRESS RELEASE
Rikkyo University and BizReach form business-academia partnership for AI deployment in society:
Aiming at establishing new joint research scheme between Japan’s 1st AI-specialized graduate school and IT firm
First joint study to focus on qualitative information on “people’s sense of values”
Rikkyo University’s Graduate School of Artificial Intelligence and Science and BizReach, Inc., which belongs to the Visional Group, have concluded a joint research agreement for the purpose of deployment of artificial intelligence in society. Starting April 30, 2020, the first AI-specialized graduate school in the country and BizReach will launch joint research.
Background of the business-academic partnership:
The government set a goal of annually fostering 250,000 personnel specializing in AI
Rikkyo University sets up Japan’s first AI-specialized graduate school and launches joint research with BizReach
Features of this partnership
Aim to establish new scheme to realize the global-standard utilization of AI technology in business
Through this joint research, Rikkyo University and BizReach will establish a new scheme to apply advanced AI technologies in the hands of a university research institution to business. Furthermore, both parties share the goal that the scheme will help promote AI application in business among Japan’s IT sector.
<Scheme to realize the joint research between Rikkyo University and BizReach>
The scheme’s features: 3 elements for realizing the early deployment of AI in society
1)Data: Basic foundation for collecting and accumulating massive and high-quality data
2)AI-, IT-specialized engineers: Engineers knowledgeable in system construction and service development that deals with big data, and those with a doctoral degree in computer science or physics
3)Human resources in the most advanced AI research: Research institute and human resources expertly promoting the most advanced AI research
1) Basic foundation for collecting and accumulating massive and high-quality data
2) Engineers knowledgeable in system construction and service development that deals with big data, and those with a doctorfal degree in computer science and other science fields
3) Human resources promoting the most advanced AI research
Overview of the joint research
First joint research focuses on the discovery of “sense of values in career”
Results from this joint research are expected to be utilized for providing information and developing functions for the purpose of offering improved services for individual members of the “BIZREACH” recruitment site. In this joint research, personal information obtained from site users will not be provided to Rikkyo University. The use of data from the “BIZREACH” site for this research will be limited completely within the range of members’ approval, by giving prior notifications of “terms of service and handling of personal information” at the time of their publication and change as well as calling for attention at the time of users’ service registration. In the stage of data analysis, attention will be paid to security by using anonymized data.
In-company AI research institute enables the joint research while protecting personal information
1. Devising hypothesis, production of dataset (by BizReach, Rikkyo University)
Both parties will devise a hypothesis for solving problems through discussions. They will also produce dataset (a set of data used to produce a learning model by machine-learning algorithms and to evaluate its accuracy) necessary for their experiments based on dummy data that is statistically produced from public information and service data.
2. Drafting theory outline (Rikkyo University)
The university will conduct experiments to draw the “sense of values in career” through deep learning and other methods and draft the theory outline.
3. Experiments with anonymized data, visualization of research outcome (BizReach)
Based on the theory and experiment methods proposed by Rikkyo University, BizReach’s AI team will conduct experiments using anonymized behavior records (history of browsing or application to employment offers) of “BIZREACH” recruitment site members, and visualize the research outcome.
4. Re-discussion (BizReach, Rikkyo University)
Based on the outcome in No. 3, BizReach and Rikkyo University will have another discussion. By repeating the processes from Nos. 1 to 4, the two parties will aim to establish a theory and put it into practical use on an earliest possible date.
Outline of the joint research agreement
2. Date of execution of the agreement: April 30, 2020
3. Purpose of the agreement: This agreement aims at promoting the business-academic partnership in such fields as human resource exchange, students’ career development and joint research in order to promote AI utilization in business and its deployment in society, as well as both parties’ development and contribution to society.
4. Content of this agreement:
(1) Joint research of AI technology
(2) Students’ career development
(3) Human resource exchange in the joint research
(4) Other items the two parties recognize necessary for the business-academia partnership
(Note 1) Prime Minister’s Office: “Future Investment Strategy 2018 – Innovations toward ‘Society 5.0’ ‘Data-driven Society’”; Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry: “Research on the supply and demand of IT human resources (outline)”
(Note 2) Cabinet Office: “AI Strategy 2019 – AI for Everyone: People, Industries, Regions and Governments”
Comment By Yasunobu Uchiyama, dean of Graduate School of Artificial Intelligence and Science, Rikkyo University
Comment By Ken Edahiro, chief strategy officer of BizReach, Inc.
About Rikkyo University’s Graduate School of Artificial Intelligence and Science
About BizReach, Inc.
Feb 08, 2021