Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship


This program exempts government sponsored international students from tuition fees and supplies them with a monthly scholarship stipend for travel expenses and other costs. There are three ways of being accepted, as listed below.

1. Embassy Nomination: Government sponsored international students nominated by the embassy (graduate international students)

This refers to international students who are selected through the Japanese embassy or consulate in their home country and hope to study at Rikkyo University. Requests for the university to prepare admissions forms must be made after passing the primary screening at the Japanese embassy or consulate (overseas diplomatic establishments) from one’s home country.
The following websites provide details on Monbukagakusho's government sponsored international student program.
Please inquire at the overseas diplomatic establishment in your home country regarding the screening schedule and other matters.

Requests for Rikkyo University to Issue Acceptance Forms
Those wishing to perform research at Rikkyo University are requested to contact the following email address after passing the primary screening conducted at the overseas diplomatic establishment in each country. The following required documents must then be sent to the address below to arrive by the end of August.
The reception points at Rikkyo University generally close from around August 9- 19 for summer vacation. Please note that the University cannot respond to questions and other inquiries during this period.

Contact email address: kokuse@rikkyo.ac.jp
Mailing address: International Office, Rikkyo University, 3-34-1 Nishi-Ikebukuro, Toshima-ku, Tokyo Japan 171-8501
FAX: 81-(0)3-3985-4555

Required Documents:
  • Certification of having passed the primary screening (copies accepted)
  • Copies of the pages in your passport with your name, nationality, date of birth, passport number, and photograph.
  • All documents submitted to the overseas diplomatic establishment (copies accepted), including the application form, academic transcripts from one’s graduating university, and research plan.

2. University Nomination: Government sponsored international students nominated by Rikkyo University (graduate international students)

Rikkyo University accepts the application for the government scholarship from the candidates recommended by its overseas partner institutions. The applicants must be graduate students enrolled at at Rikkyo's partner institutions.
*Note: The candidates from the following partner institutions are not eligible to apply for the government scholarship in this category:
  • Linfield College
  • The University of the South
  • Vanderbilt University
  • National Chengchi University
  • Fu Jen Catholic University
  • Murdoch University
  • University of Sheffield
  • Dublin City University
If you are a graduate student at Rikkyo’s partner university and interested in applying, please contact your home university for further information. The application has to be sent through partner institution and we do not accept individual applications.

3. Domestic Selection: Government sponsored international students selected domestically (undergraduate and graduate international students)

This applies to privately financed international students who are already enrolled as regular students at Rikkyo University.