Apr 16, 2021
Job Announcement for Professor or Associate Professor (English Language Education) Application Deadline: 2021.06.10
Rikkyo University started as a private school that taught Christian Bible studies and English in 1874 by the Episcopal Church missionary Bishop, Channing Moore Williams. The university has now grown to over 19,000 students spanning ten of faculties. While we have continued to place a particular emphasis on English language within the entire university education, our English program should be prepared to play new and more active roles in the contemporary society of expanding globalization.
In adapting to this necessity, we opened the new Center for Foreign Language Education and Research (FLER) in 2020 with the aim of integrating theory and practice. This new institution is organized by a group of practitioner-researchers conducting cutting-edge research and having profound experience of teaching, curriculum development, and program management. We are inviting a new member with excellent research achievements and broad teaching experience to join our team and work together to advance our English language program.
1 Professor or Associate Professor (tenured position)
2. Starting date
April 1, 2022
3. Research field
Applied Linguistics, or English Language Teaching (in particular, those who specialize in CLIL, curriculum development, materials development, or language testing and assessment)
4. Job details
1) Teaching various English language courses within the university-wide curriculum (usually 8 classes a year) and related work
2) Planning, developing and managing the university-wide English language curriculum
3) Responsible for work related to the university’s entrance exam
1) PhD in the field of Applied Linguistics/English Language Teaching, or those who have equivalent teaching and research ability in the relevant area;
2) Extensive knowledge of recent language teaching theories and approaches, such as CLIL and CEFR;
3) Expertize in English language curriculum development;
4) Extensive experience and high management skills applicable to administering the English language program;
5) Able to teach various types of courses through English and have sufficiently high Japanese language proficiency to perform a variety of administrative work; and
6) Teaching and administrative experience as a full-time academic lecturer at the university level.
6. Location of the position
Office: Center for Foreign Language Education and Research, Ikebukuro Campus
Teaching: Ikebukuro Campus and Niiza Campus
Based on the rules of Rikkyo University
8. Application documents
1) Curriculum Vitae (Designated Form)
2) Research Achievements (Designated Form)
3) 3 research papers related to Applied Linguistics and/or English Language Education published within the last 5 years (after 2016)
4) A syllabus for a CLIL course (A4 size, up to 2 pages) as well as a lesson plan of Day 7 of the course (A4 size, up to 3 pages) written in English, satisfying the following conditions:
- Target level: CEFR B1
- Course contents: CLIL course for one of the following areas—humanities, social science, or natural science
- Class size: approximately 20 students in class
- Class time & number of classes per semester: 100 minutes per class, meets once a week for 14 weeks per semester
6) A PDF of your most recent certificate of degree
9. Application period
The application must arrive no later than Thursday, June 10, 2021.
10. Submission Address
Center for Foreign Language Education and Research, Rikkyo University
- Submit application materials as email attachment to above email address and title must be “Application for Sennin position (FAMILY NAME)”.
- Application materials cannot be returned.
- We will contact shortlisted candidates for an interview by Friday, June 25, 2021.
- The interviews are scheduled on Saturday, July 3, 2021 at Ikebukuro Campus. In the interview, you will be asked to give a trial lesson (20 minutes) based on your submitted syllabus and lesson plan.
Download the documents from below:
*During the screening process, we may ask for additional materials.
*Personal information in the application documents will not be used for purposes other than for the selection.
*All associated costs for transportation to the interview must be met solely by the applicant and not by Rikkyo University.
Apr 29, 2021