Site Map

Medical Care and Insurance

The four programs described below provide assistance with medical expenses and insurance benefits when you are faced with illness or injury. To receive reimbursement you are required to submit a receipt.

National Health Insurance Program

All foreigners who plan to stay in Japan for one year or longer must join Japan’s National Health Insurance Program. Upon joining this insurance plan, you will be issued a National Health Insurance Card. This policy covers 70 % of medical costs.
Click here for enrollment procedures and medical care procedures

Medical Fee Reimbursement (Japan Student Service Organization [JASSO])

When an international student with “College Student” status of residence pays for medical treatment that is covered by National Health Insurance, it is possible to file an application and have 35% (as of 2008) of the amount reimbursed by the Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO). Application procedures for reimbursement are handled on the Ikebukuro Campus through the Student Welfare Section of the Division of Student Affairs and at the Niiza Campus Office.
Click here for details(in Japanese)

Rikkyo Student Multi-Aid Health Insurance Union (Student Health Insurance Plan)

With this program, a student receives outpatient medical treatment at a medical institution* which has an agreement with the Rikkyo Student Multi-Aid Health Insurance Union will not bear any of the costs within the range of insured medical treatment. Students must present their National Health Insurance Card and student ID to receive this benefit.
* Rikkyo Gakuin Clinic, Niizashiki Chuo General Hospital (as of FY2008)
Students with College Student status receiving medical treatment (either outpatient or inpatient) through a medical institution or pharmacy covered by insurance but not a contracted medical institution, can apply to have the amount that was paid out of pocket but not covered by JASSO reimbursed by the Student Health Insurance Plan, provided the treatment is covered by Japan’s National Health Insurance. Application procedures for this reimbursement are handled through the Student Welfare Section of the Division of Student Affairs in Ikebukuro or the Niiza Campus Office.
* Because student union dues are included in the tuition paid by all regular students, no additional procedures need to be completed to subscribe to this plan.
Click here for details

Disaster and Accident Insurance for Student Education and Research

A student is eligible to receive compensation for injuries suffered while engaged in education or research activities for the University, regardless of whether the accident occurred on or off the campus. In the event of such an accident, the student should file a claim within 30 days of the accident at the Student Welfare Section of the Division of Student Affairs on the Ikebukuro Campus or the Niiza Campus Office. However, insurance benefits will not be paid for injuries arising due to willful intent or conflict, cervical syndrome (whiplash injury), injuries due to accidents caused by activities involving risk, and similar ailments.
Insurance benefits include death benefits, residual disability benefits, medical expense benefits, and hospitalization benefits.
* Rikkyo University students are automatically enrolled in Disaster and Accident Insurance for Student Education and Research when they matriculate.
Click here for details

Student Life

International Exchange

International Students

Return to Top of Page

Ikebukuro Campus(Public relations)
3-34-1 Nishi-Ikebukuro,Toshima-ku,
Tokyo Japan 171-8501
Niiza Campus(Niiza campus service division)
1-2-26 Kitano,Niiza-shi,
Saitama Japan 352-8558
Copyright © Rikkyo University. All Rights Reserved.