Site Map

Information for Living in Japan


Japan has four seasons, with large differences in temperature and climate. Because Japan stretches from north to south for quite a distance, temperatures vary from one end of the country to the other. Average temperatures in Tokyo, where the Rikkyo University Ikebukuro Campus is situated, are shown below.

Table of average temperatures in Tokyo (°C)
  January February March April May June
High 11 13 15 18 24 27
Low 5 5 7 10 16 20
  July August September October November December
High 27 33 29 22 17 13
Low 22 26 22 16 10 6

Living Expenses

The average monthly living expense for a Rikkyo University student commuting from a private apartment to the campus is ¥155,400.

The following chart offers a breakdown of average costs of major living expenditures.

Source: “Averages for Rikkyo Students Not Living at Home” from the 12th Survey of Student Living Conditions (Rikkyo Edition), October 2006, The Japan Association of Private Colleges and Universities

Contact Information in Case of an Emergency

The following telephone numbers are indispensable in times of emergency. When calling any of these numbers, always remember to give your full name and the location of the accident or crime.

To call the police (to report a crime, or an accident): Dial “110” (area code is unnecessary) (toll-free)

If there is a Koban (police box) nearby you can go to the Koban to report the incident in person. The Koban is a local base where members of the police force are stationed and out of which the police conduct their activities for keeping the peace and providing security for the residents.

To Call the Fire Department (in case of a fire or to call for rescue or an ambulance):
Dial “119” (area code is unnecessary) (toll-free)


Banks provide a variety of services. They handle bank accounts, money transfers, as well as utility payments. (Regular business hours for bank counters: 9:00-15:00 on weekdays; closed weekends)

To open a bank account, you must provide some form of identification (an official document to verify your name, address, and date of birth). Typically, an inkan (a personal seal) is also needed to open a bank account in Japan. If you do not have an inkan, you can open a bank account with your signature. As an inkan is just as legally binding as your signature, be very careful about using your inkan.

Postal and Parcel Delivery Services

Post offices handle not only the mail but also have savings accounts and insurance plans. Counters handling postal matters are usually between from 9:00 and 17:00 on weekdays. Counters handling savings accounts and insurance are open until 16:00. Main post offices are open past 17:00, and some after-hours counters are open on Saturdays and Sundays.

Postage stamps and postcards are conveniently sold at the University’s St. Paul’s Plaza store and shops that have the post office mark “〒.” In addition to the postal system, there are a number of parcel delivery services that handle overseas deliveries. Arrangements to use these delivery services can be made directly with the delivery companies themselves and also at convenience stores.

Public Utilities

Students are responsible for paying their individual public utilities that include water, electricity, gas, and telephone. Electricity and gas are billed monthly, while water is billed every two months. Those with a television, are required to pay a subscription fee for receiving transmission from the public broadcasting station NHK (Japan Broadcasting Corporation). Utility bills can be paid at any neighborhood post office or convenience store. They can also be deducted automatically from a bank account.


Student Commuter Pass

Students commuting between home and the campus by train or bus, can ride at a discount by purchasing a student commuter pass.

To purchase a student commuter pass for the train, students must bring their student ID and a commuter pass certificate to a train station with a commuter pass office. Obtaining a student commuter pass for the bus requires the University issuing a Commuter’s Certificate, to be taken to the sales office of the bus line.

Student Discounts

Students traveling more than 100 kilometers on a JR train, are eligible for student discount fares (20% off the regular basic fare) upon showing a Student Travel Fare Discount Certificate. Students are entitled for 10 certificates per year.

The Academic Affairs Office and the Niiza Campus Office issue the Commuter’s Certificate and Student Travel Fare Discount Certificate.


Major earthquakes only last a few minutes. The aftershocks are generally weaker than the main quake. Should an earthquake strike, please follow the advice below.

To protect yourself, take cover under a table, desk, or other such furniture.

Be sure to turn off any gas or electric appliances that produce a flame or other form of heat. Open a window or a door to ensure that you have an escape route.

Do not rush outside because immediately as you may be injured by falling signboards and other debris.

Accurate information is provided by the television, radio, or other sources.

Call out to your neighbors and give each other a helping hand.

If you are outdoors, stay away from walls, gateposts, or other structures that could collapse on you.

Student Life

International Exchange

Return to Top of Page

Ikebukuro Campus(Public relations)
3-34-1 Nishi-Ikebukuro,Toshima-ku,
Tokyo Japan 171-8501
Niiza Campus(Niiza campus service division)
1-2-26 Kitano,Niiza-shi,
Saitama Japan 352-8558
Copyright © Rikkyo University. All Rights Reserved.